[Mpi-forum] MPI_Abort - meaning

N.M. Maclaren nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 5 15:42:20 CDT 2010

On Apr 5 2010, Fab Tillier wrote:
>Richard Treumann wrote on Mon, 5 Apr 2010 at 10:45:00
>
>> A call to MPI_Quit would let the application give a return code of 0 so
>> a script or wrapper that checks the mpiexec return code would regard the
>> application as a success.
>
>How is this different than calling MPI_Abort with an error code of 0?

For example, MPI_Quit might be required to go through normal language-
specified termination (and hence close files cleanly).  MPI_Abort does
not require that.

I agree with Richard's reservations, incidentally.  About the best that
can be done is to specify an MPI_Quit that stops the calling process
cleanly (in the language sense) and has the effect of MPI_Abort on the
others.  But, as I said, even that is tricky to implement on some systems
and may not be reliable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.