[Mpi-forum] New tickets on MPI Virtual Topology Functions

Bronis R. de Supinski bronis at llnl.gov
Mon Oct 12 11:29:44 CDT 2009

Pavan:

The basic goal -- improving the usability of Cartesian
communicators -- is definitely worthwhile. The specific
proposals seem reasonable; I might tweak the wordings...

Are the two proposals mutually exclusive? One seeks to
improve MPI_Dims_create while the other proposes to
deprecate it. It seems like we should go one way or the
other but not both. I suppose we could enact both if
we omit part one (the deprecation) of the second.

Could we just deprecate MPI_Dims_create and replace it
with a new function that serves the exact same purpose
but also has a communicator argument? I seem to recall
that the idea was that sometimes the user either needs
to do some data movement prior to the communicator
creation or might want to fine-tune the results that
MPI_Cart_create would otherwise provide...

I gues the other changes to MPI_Cart_create would still
be needed but do not necessarily eliminate the need for
the manual process.

Bronis