[Mpi-forum] MPI One-Sided Communication

Vinod tipparaju tipparajuv at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 27 08:02:29 CDT 2009

Don't forget matching. The model depends on a relation between send and receive. This is the fundamental reason for potential difference in overlap. If you talk implementation, which we technically shouldn't for this argument, eventually the fact that a matching receiver is required for a send does impact over multiple sends.

the one-sided model
a->b
is independent of b.
the two sided model
a<->b
because of its dependance implies validity -- you can hide the cost of validity but can't eliminate it.
Vinod.