[Mpi-forum] MPI One-Sided Communication

Hubert Ritzdorf ritzdorf at it.neclab.eu
Mon Apr 27 06:34:41 CDT 2009

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 01:28:22PM -0600, Simone Atzeni wrote:
>

>> Hi, I'm an italian student and I'm doing a thesis about Formal
>> Verification. Now, I'm looking for information about mpi one-sided
>> communication to see who uses one-sided and for what (user applications
>> or implementing library).
>>

> As far as I can tell, usage of the MPI-2 one-sided library is about
> zero. People tried it on various interconnects, and when it turned out
> to be slower than 2-sided, stopped trying.

On the Earth Simulator, there are/were several application codes which are
using one-sided communication (instead of 2-sided). They used one-sided
communication especially to overlap communication and computation.
When I remember correctly, at least one of this applications won a Gordon
Bell Award of SC.

There are performance advantages for one-sided communication on the
Earth Simulator (and SX systems) (nevertheless, it is not clear to me
how you define latency for small messages together with the synchronization
functions of MPI-2).

Hubert
NEC Europe