[Mpi-forum] MPI prototype license

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Apr 3 14:17:58 CDT 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Supalov, Alexander wrote:

> Many prototypes are being developed currently for MPI-2.2 and MPI-3.
> Under what license will they be made available to the community?
> Certain types of licenses, like GPL, may not be suitable for
> commercial adoption of the prototype code. BSD-like licenses are
> normally acceptable. I think we should discuss this matter at the
> Forum this time. You comments and suggestions are welcome.

I guess that raises the meta question -- what is the intent?  Is it a
requirement that the proof-of-concept open source implementations must
be licensed such that, in practice (not theory) they can be slurped
into commercial/closed source MPI implementations?  Or is it enough
that some people implemented it, some [other] people reviewed it, and
the union of those people have said "yes, this shows what we want it
to show"?  (and potentially a 3rd set of people who didn't look at the
proof-of-concept implementation go re-implement it in their MPI
implementation)

I thought the intent was to show that the concept was possible and to
help unearth any "gotchas" in terms of implementation that might not
be thought of during the design phase.

But to be clear: OMPI, where I have done all my implementation work
for MPI 2.2 tickets, is BSD (IANAL, and none of this is legal advice
-- go read our license yourself) so I don't really care too much.

Cisco Systems