[Mpi-forum] New MPI 3 WG on tool support

Martin Schulz schulzm at llnl.gov
Thu Nov 6 16:45:23 CST 2008

Hi all,

As Rich mentioned in his previous email, we are ready to start the
discussions in the new MPI 3 WG on tool support. There is an email
list available for this group at:

All further discussion on this topic should go through this group.
To give people some time to sign up for this, I would like to
start a discussion mid next week on how we should organize ourselves
and plan for a first telephone conference in the week after
Thanksgiving.

As for the technical direction: during the MPI Forum meeting in Dublin
last September, we basically found three areas that the tools group
should focus on to start with:

- An interface to probe MPI library internal performance information
   and state (successor to the Peruse idea)
- An MPI debug interface to allow debuggers to extract correctness
   information from MPI implementations
- A standardization of the MPIR Interface/Process Acquisition interface

If there are other topics that you are interested in for this group or
if you have any comments, please bring them up on the tools mailing list.