[Mpi-comments] Fortran naming schemes

Gregor Corbin g.corbin at fz-juelich.de
Tue Oct 18 02:38:19 CDT 2022

Dear MPI-Forum,

I have some difficulties to interpret the naming schemes in section
19.1.5 (MPI 4.0 standard):

Consider two routines (e.g. MPI_Send, MPI_Recv) in the same Fortran
support method (e.g. 'use mpi_f08'), that both take a choice buffer
argument. Does the Standard

(a) allow to implement one routine with naming scheme 1A (MPI_Send_f08)
and the other with scheme 1B (MPI_Recv_f08ts),

(b) demand that 1B (_f08ts) is used either for all routines with choice
buffer arguments or none,

(c) something else entirely?

My interpretation of this paragraph(p.798, 5-7)

     The mpi and mpi_f08 modules and the mpif.h include file will each
correspond to
     exactly one implementation scheme from Table 19.1. However, the MPI
library may contain
     multiple implementation schemes from Table 19.1.

depends whether there are only two distinct naming schemes 1 and 2(each
with two sub-options A and B) or  four  distinct naming schemes 1A, 1B,
2A and 2B. The first would imply (a), the second would imply (b).

On the other hand, p.798, line 1-3:

     To set MPI_SUBARRAYS_SUPPORTED to .TRUE. within a Fortran support
method,
     it is required that all nonblocking and split-collective routines
with buffer arguments are
     implemented according to 1B and 2B

implies option (a).

Best,