[Mpi-comments] is MPI_Igather thread-safe?

Jonas Thies j.thies at tudelft.nl
Sat Jan 15 05:33:09 CST 2022

Dear MPI forum,

I posted a technical question on StackOverflow and was advised to ask it
in this mailing list.

The original post is here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/70697604/is-mpi-igather-thread-safe

In a nutshell, I am trying to call independent  MPI_Igathers in an
OpenMP-parallel for-loop (after testing for MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE),

and am getting a deadlock apparently caused by mismatched sends and
receives, even in a very much stripped down example.

Any help on wether my code is not standard-conforming would be greatly
appreciated. I attached two versions of the code for convenience, one of
them is also in the StackOverflow post. The _v2 version does not
deadlock but produces incorrect results when run with multiple MPI
processes and multiple OpenMP thread per process.

Thanks and best wishes,

Jonas

--
*J. Thies*
Assistant Professor

TU Delft
Faculty Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science
Institute of Applied Mathematics and High Performance Computing Center
Mekelweg 4
2628 CD Delft

T +31 15 27 XXXX
*J.Thies at tudelft.nl*