[Mpi-comments] MPI_Get_count_x

George Bosilca bosilca at eecs.utk.edu
Mon Sep 3 18:06:22 CDT 2012

Hubert,

This function belong to ticket #265 (https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/265) the one adding support for MPI_Count. I think the rationale was the following. If the "compatible" number of top-level elements is greater than an int (this is what MPI_Get_count can safely returns), then MPI_Get_count is supposed to return MPI_UNDEFINED, and the application should fallback on using MPI_Get_elements_X instead.

I thought I could provide an implementation for MPI_Get_count_X, but without knowledge about the MPI implementation, or an impressively costly MPI_Type_get_envelope/MPI_Type_get_contents I couldn't figure out how. Moreover, I don't think there is an easy way to distinguish if the MPI_UNDEFINED returned by MPI_Get_count is due to a lack of space for the return type or a mismatch in the size of the data.

This should be added to the growing list of things to be fixed post 3.0. Meanwhile, implement your own [expensive] way of parsing datatypes using MPI_Type_get_envelope/MPI_Type_get_contents if you want to implement a really portable library (aka supporting MPI_Count).

  george.

PS: MPI_Type_create_keyval can be helpful here in order to speed things up when a datatype is used multiple times.