[Mpi-comments] More on "MPI-3.0 public draft and call for comments"

Fernando G. Tinetti fernando at lidi.info.unlp.edu.ar
Fri Aug 10 09:03:46 CDT 2012

Hi, I'm commenting/suggesting some details about

http://meetings.mpi-forum.org/mpi3.0_draft_2.pdf

because I received the e-mail from
"
Rolf Rabenseifner <rabenseifner at hlrs.de>
to: 	fernando at info.unlp.edu.ar
subject: 	 MPI-3.0 public draft and call for comments
"

However, I did not receive any reply to my previous comment/question.
Anyway, I'll make some extra comments, including the previous one:

1) I read at the end of page ii:
"
c 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2008, 2009, 2012 University of
Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee. Permission to copy without fee
all or part of this material is granted, provided the University
of Tennessee copyright notice and the title of this document appear,
and notice is given that copying is by permission of the University
of Tennessee.
"

Is it right? If so, could you give a short explanation (or a link
to) about the reason/s?

2) Given that of the "MPI: A Message-Passing Interface Standard"
    is from the "Message Passing Interface Forum" (page i in the .pdf)
    a minimum explanation of what the forum is and how it has evolved
    is in order. There are some explanations in pages iii-iv, references
    to MPI Forum, MPI-2 Forum (pp. iii, xxi, xxiv), and MPI-3 Forum
    (p. xxix) and I think it is not clear how those forums are made up
    e.g. the meeting itself is the Forum? The text at page 2
    "These meetings and the email discussion together constituted the
     MPI Forum, membership of which has been open to all members of the
     high performance computing community."
    is clear about the 1993 decision, but I did not see a clear reference
    to the current Forum definition, Forum (committee/s) members, etc. I
    would like to see an informal MPI Forum evolution such as that given
    for MPI in pp. iii-iv.

3) I suggest a minor change in the text in p. 1 from
"
The goal of the Message-Passing Interface simply stated is to develop
a widely used standard for writing message-passing programs. As such
the interface should establish a practical, portable, efficient, and
flexible standard for message passing.

A complete list of goals follows.
"

"
The goal of the Message-Passing Interface simply stated is to develop
a widely used standard for writing message-passing programs. As such
the interface should establish a practical, portable, efficient, and
flexible standard for message passing. A complete list of goals follows.
"

    since I think the complete list is part of the paragraph defining
    goals of MPI.

Best regards,

Fernando.
---
La parte gris de las zapatillas es bien resbalosa, con ésas voy como
Flash por la baranda de la escalera.
(Santi, 7 años)