[Mpi-comments] MPI_Is_thread_main: usage allowed for any thread in MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED mode?

Philippe Wautelet Philippe.Wautelet at idris.fr
Fri Apr 13 05:36:13 CDT 2012

Dear all,

It is not clear to me if I am allowed to make calls to MPI_Is_thread_main from
any thread if I initialized MPI with the MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED mode. For this
mode, the norm says:
"the application must ensure that only the main thread makes MPI calls" (page
384, lines 46-47)
Therefore, a call to MPI_Is_thread_main should be incorrect. But in this case,
how can I determine which thread is the main one? Or, maybe, some MPI calls
could be explicitly allowed to be made by any thread?

Best regards,

Philippe Wautelet

Philippe Wautelet (Research Engineer)   wautelet at idris.fr
Tel. : 01 69 35 85 76                   Fax : 01 69 85 37 75
IDRIS, Batiment 506, BP 167, 91403 ORSAY Cedex, France
Prof. website   : http://www.idris.fr
Private website : http://www.fractalzone.be