[Mpi-22] Another MPI-2.2 attribute ambiguity?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Wed May 20 09:53:52 CDT 2009

On May 19, 2009, at 8:55 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:

> So then you're in favor of #1 from my original post, right?
>
>      http://lists.mpi-forum.org/mpi-22/2009/05/0407.php

To be even more clear:

- Open MPI's upcoming v1.3.3 currently does #1
- Platform (Scali) MPI does #1
- HP MPI does #2
- I *think* MPICH2 is doing #1 (Bill's text can be interpreted 2 ways,
but we already discussed that it's not valid to keep the address of
the value passed through MPI_*_CREATE_KEYVAL)
- Alexander said that Intel MPI does the same thing as Bill's original
reply, but I'm not sure what that means (because Bill's original reply
was about C)

I don't know what IBM MPI, NEC MPI, or others do (I assume MS MPI and
MVAPICH do the same thing as MPICH2).

> On May 19, 2009, at 4:39 PM, William Gropp wrote:
>
> > Silly me, I missed that.
> >
> > In Fortran (particularly thinking in terms of Fortran 77, since that
> > was the original design), the Fortran callback should be able to do
> > things like increment the "extra data" - i.e., if the extra data
> is a
> > counter, the Fortran callback should be able to increment it.  Since
> > Fortran 77 has no pointers (and pointers in Fortran 90 aren't the
> same
> > as addresses), having an address is worthless in a Fortran 77
> > program.  So if the MPI implementation stores the address of the
> extra
> > data and passes that to the call back (by value, so Fortran sees the
> > address of the extra data), users should get what they expect in
> > Fortran.
> >
> > Bill

> copy
> > >
> > > But this is the Fortran interface, not the C interface.
> > >
> > > Iain
> > >

> > William Gropp
> > Deputy Director for Research
> > Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies
> > Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
> > University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems