[Mpi-22] Borderline ticket #107: Types ofpredefined constants in Appendix A

Erez Haba erezh at [hidden]
Fri Aug 7 14:25:43 CDT 2009

What is the conclusion? Does this ticket forces *any* implementation change?

-----Original Message-----
From: mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden] [mailto:mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Rolf Rabenseifner
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 12:39 PM
To: tony_at_[hidden]; MPI 2.2
Subject: Re: [Mpi-22] Borderline ticket #107: Types ofpredefined constants in Appendix A

It wasn't my goal to change MPI implementations.
For me, it was strange, that C++ user get the type imformation
in this Appendix and Fortran and C users have to look for the
type info somewhere in the standard.

Some details.

1) The goal of the sentence

      Constants with the type {{const int}} may also be implemented
      as literal integer constants substituted by the preprocessor.

    was to allow

      #define MPI_ANY_SOURCE -3

    i.e., without any type casting!
    ("-3" is a "literal integer constant", and "#define
MPI_ANY_SOURCE"
     stands for "substituted by the preprocessor".)
    The "const int" was used to reduce C++ / C interlanguage issues.
    All other types (e.g., MPI_Group MPI_GROUP_NULL) are normally
without const.

2) E.g., when I understand the standard correctly, then I would
    expect, that an implementor is allowed to define MPI_ANY_SOURCE
    as -2^30, i.e., an application statement

       short neighor = MPI_ANY_SOURCE;
       MPI_Recv(...., (int)neighbor, ...);

    seems to me to be not portable.

Therefore, I hope that this discussion is still not necessary, because
correct user codes are not broken.

If only one or a few types are wrong, then I would like to see the
text that would be necessary to fix it in an errata.

Best regards
Rolf

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 18:08:49 +0000
  "Anthony Skjellum" <tony_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Everyone, first of all, we should not do anything rash in either
>direction, and everyone should keep his or her cool in the debate,
>even if things get contentious :-) and etc.
>
> While not taking sides on the technical matter right now, the fact
>is that if we find there is a serious problem, we should act in favor
>of quality and correctness at the expense of speed.  We do not want
>to compound any problem (if that is what we finally agree there is)
>by a rash solution.  We will be judged better (by our users and
>adopters) for delaying rather than making a step that harms the
>standard.  We can always call an extra meeting if we had to to get
>back on time track :-)
>
> Serious question: I am curious as to how we are going to rationally,
>definitively and timely decide now if this breaks valid 2.1 programs?
> What about 2.0 programs (of which there are far more)?  A panel of a
>subset of us?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony
>
> Tony Skjellum, PhD
> RunTime Computing Solutions, LLC
> tony_at_[hidden]
> direct: +1-205-314-3595
> cell:    +1-205-807-4968

Dr. Rolf Rabenseifner . . . . . . . . . .. email rabenseifner_at_[hidden]
Nobelstr. 19, D-70550 Stuttgart, Germany . (Office: Allmandring 30)