[Mpi-22] Another MPI-2.2 attribute ambiguity?

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Fri Apr 17 07:59:09 CDT 2009

Hi,

Intel MPI (and most likely other MPICH2 derivatives) appears to use method #2.

Best regards.

Alexander

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Squyres [mailto:jsquyres_at_[hidden]]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:19 PM
To: MPI 2.2; Rajeev Thakur; William Gropp; Rolf Rabenseifner; Hubert Ritzdorf; Terry Dontje; Dave Goodell; Darius Buntinas; Pavan Balaji; Supalov, Alexander; Bronis de Supinski; David Solt; Hans Westgaard Ry; Håkon Bugge
Subject: Another MPI-2.2 attribute ambiguity?

This is related to -- but different from -- MPI 2.2 ticket #55
("MPI-2.1 Cross-language attribute example is wrong").  Explicitly
adding all the #55 CC members to this mail, plus a few others.

I cannot find any text in MPI-2.1 (e.g., p223-225) describing specific
behavior regarding the EXTRA_STATE arguments passed to the Fortran
keyval copy and delete functions (both the ADDRESS_KIND and deprecated
flavors).  I see two choices:

1. pass the user's original EXTRA_STATE argument by reference to the
callbacks, or
2. copy the user's original EXTRA_STATE into internal MPI storage and
pass *that* value by reference to the callbacks

==> Open MPI currently does #1.  What do other implementations do?

I raise this issue because the text does not indicate which way is
right.  And I just ran across an old Sun test that assumed #2.  But
our internal copy of the Intel MPI tests assume #1 (to be fair: I have
no idea if the Intel tests originally assumed #2 and we changed them
to #1 over time).  Indeed, #2 is actually in-line with the philosophy
of storing attribute values in internal MPI storage.  E.g.:

   INTEGER foo = 4
   INTEGER bar
   CALL MPI_COMM_SET_ATTR(comm, keyval, foo, ierr)
   foo = 5
   CALL MPI_COMM_GET_ATTR(comm, keyval, bar, flag, ierr)

bar should equal 4, not 5 (right?).

So what does that mean (or imply) about the EXTRA_STATE value passed
to the Fortran callbacks?

Cisco Systems
Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052