[Mpi-22] [MPI Forum] #59: Clarification on MPI::FILE_NULL, MPI::WIN_NULL and MPI::COMM_NULL

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Sat Apr 4 08:53:47 CDT 2009

Regardless of this point, note that the C++ bindings are *broken* in
MPI-2.1 with regards to #55.  You can't compile C++ MPI-2.1
applications that use MPI::FILE_NULL, MPI::WIN_NULL as specified in
#55, so the point may be moot for this ticket.

But the general point may need broad discussion next week -- have we
been sure to adhere to the "must be ABI compatible" rule for all
MPI-2.2 issues?

My $0.02: why would ISV's (or any MPI application provider) upgrade to
an MPI-2.2 implementation?  They would only upgrade if there are
features or bug fixes that they want.  They would not upgrade for the
sake of upgrading to 2.2.  In such cases, I think it's ok for any MPI
application developer (ISV or not) to re-compile.  Indeed, most ISV's
bundle/ship their own MPI implementation, so they tightly control the
MPI anyway.  If they don't want to upgrade to an MPI-2.2
implementation, they won't.

Cisco Systems