[Mpi-22] New proposal: Support for large message counts

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Thu Sep 4 03:58:11 CDT 2008

Hi,

Yes, I was looking into maintaining one library source code with the
ability to build several versions out of it. Since 1) and 2) will be
essentially ABI compatible, one can ship one version of the 32-bit
dynamic library to cover both cases. The 64-bit library will be
different, and this is I think what customers want anyway - they don't
seem to want mixing 32- and 64-bit calls in one application.

Best regards.

Alexander

-----Original Message-----
From: mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Narasimhan,
Kannan
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 7:32 PM
To: MPI 2.2
Subject: Re: [Mpi-22] New proposal: Support for large message counts

Alexander,

Thanx for the suggestion.

1. Maybe I'm missing something here, but without name change, we break
backward compatibility with "old" binaries coded to the existing APIs
with 32-bit counts, and the new MPI 2.2 compatible MPI shared library
that supports 64-bit counts --- without a re-build/relink step. Or are
you proposing that implementations have multiple libraries, one that
supports 32 bit counts, one that supports 64 bit counts, etc.? With a
single library, (1) and (2) addresses backward compatibility, but
maintains status-quo on support for large message counts, and (3) and
(4) requires rebuild. However, having different names will take care of
this.

2. If needed, we can explore normalization to a single API that supports
MPI_Count in the MPI 3.0 time frame, since MPI 3.0 is open changes that
can break backward compatibility.

3. I cannot think of any use cases for a "signed" count, but I'll let
others chime in here.

4. I agree that new applications will have no issues with your approach.

Thanx!
Kannan