[Mpi-22] New proposal: Support for large message counts

Richard Treumann treumann at [hidden]
Wed Sep 3 12:24:24 CDT 2008

MPI_Aint has the right number of bits to hold an address.  For operations
that are address space oriented, count can be the same size as an MPI_Aint

MPI_Offset has the right number of bits to deal with the range in a file.
For operations that are file oriented, arguments like count should be an
MPI_Offset

A problem is that MPI_Datatype constructors are intended to apply to both
and it is common for a 32 bit address space to operate on files with 64 bit
offsets.

What type should "count" on  the new "long" MPI_Datatype constructors be in
this case?  The proposal says MPI_Aint but that is awkward for datatypes as
fileviews.

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept X2ZA / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363

*