[Mpi-22] Several new proposals / moot points

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Tue Sep 2 17:06:49 CDT 2008

Just in time for the Dublin meeting, I have posted several new MPI-2.2
proposals (it looks like a bunch of others have, too!) based on my
items from the following URLs:

http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/homes/wgropp/projects/parallel/MPI/mpi-errata/mpi2-2issues.htm#squyres1
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/homes/wgropp/projects/parallel/MPI/mpi-errata/mpi2-2issues.htm#squyres2
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/homes/wgropp/projects/parallel/MPI/mpi-errata/mpi2-2issues.htm#squyres3

I numbered each of the proposals with the item number from the above
URLs.  Here's the resulting proposals on the wiki:

https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/wiki/mpi22/CxxBindingsMissingConst
https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/wiki/mpi22/GrequestStartFnPtrArgs
https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/wiki/mpi22/FnPtrTypedefNames
https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/wiki/mpi22/TextUpdatesToLangBindingsChapter
https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/wiki/mpi22/MPICancelWrongArgType
https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/wiki/mpi22/NamingConventionsPrefixConsistency
https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/wiki/mpi22/RemoveCxxDeprecatedSection

Additionally, several of the suggestions that I made on the #squyresX
URLs are now moot.  Here's a listing by issue number, including brief
descriptions of why they are moot:

30.c  ?   p4: Two open source MPI implementations are cited that are no
            longer relevant. This entire sentence should be removed.
Indeed,
            the language in the overall paragraph is forward-looking
-- it
            should probably be re-worked to be in the present tense.
           Editor's comment: should be done by the Forum

           Editor (WDG): The historical context is important.  Rather
           than remove this, it should be updated.

--> now moot in the final 2.1 doc; the language was re-worked.

30.o  R2  p186.5: Descriptions for the C++ bindings need to be
included here,
            since they are different than the C bindings. The text
from 13.1.7
            would seem to be sufficient. (See also 35.e)

---> seems moot now -- MPI-2.1 p195:41 says "Please see Section 16.1.7
on page 455 for further discussion about the C++ bindings for Dup()
and Clone()."

71.c ?  - MPI-2.1 p571 Examples Index: there are still a bunch of
             repeated names, some in all caps, some in mixed case, etc.

71.d ?  - MPI-2.1 p571 Examples Index: There are some examples listed
             just by MPI function name (e.g., MPI_SEND and MPI_Send) --
             are we listing every MPI function in every MPI example?
             How was the selection for these example names given?
             Editor's comment:
               I tried to pick major routines in the examples
               (sometimes not all).  Additionally, for some examples, I
               defined titles for the Index.

71.e ?  - MPI-2.1 p574 MPI Constant and Predefined Handle Index: The
             first entry is still "MPI::*_NULL"

71.f ?  - MPI-2.1 p574 MPI Constant and Predefined Handle Index: Are
             we listing the C++ constants and Fortran constants here,
             too?  Or just the C constants?  Or just language neutral?
             (I only see C++ predefined datatypes listed -- should we
             list all or none of them?)

--> these still need to be cleaned up; but I don't think they need a
proposal.

p10.35: due to the decision from last meeting (sort out the
            IN/OUT/INOUT mess in MPI-2.2), the language should be
softened in
            this paragraph and the full paragraph following this one
(because
            they contradict each other). Specifically, I propose
changing:

            10.35: Thus, in C++, IN aguments are either references...
                   Thus, in C++, IN arguments are usually either