[Mpi-22] MPI_INIT assertions

Richard Graham rlgraham at [hidden]
Thu May 15 12:33:02 CDT 2008

Assertions should not change semantics ­ these are defined by the standard.
Assertions
 may provide ³help² to the implementation, what ever that means.  I may be
missing some thing,
 but I really don¹t see a difference (aside  from name) between assertions
an hints ­ both are
 ways of the user conveying information to the library.

Rich

On 5/15/08 12:58 PM, "Terry Jones" <trj_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]
>> the application and
>>  the library, as this is not the only instance where this is useful, and a
>> uniform way of doing this
>>  makes things much easier on users.
>>
>> Rich
>>

>> On 5/14/08 9:14 AM, "Richard Treumann" <treumann_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> MPI_Init time assertions must be few and each must be valuable or the
>>> concept will fall like a house of cards.
>>>
>>> There is nothing in my proposal for MPI_Init time assertions that rules out
>>> providing other mechanisms in MPI 3 for giving guidance to the MPI
>>> implementation.  In MPI 3 we can consider more hints and we can add the
>>> abiility to give stronger direction to MPI or provide it on a more granular
>>> basis - If it makes sense. These extra mechanisms are far to complex to
>>> consider as part of MPI 2.2.
>>>
>>> I would not use the phrase that Dries does when he says "Assertions are bad"
>>> but I agree with the the sentiment behind his statement. I think there
>>> should be a very small number of assertions defined in the standard and for
>>> each there should be a good rationale.  For MPI 2.2 there should be a great
>>> rationale because we can come back in MPI 3 and add more assertions if we
>>> miss some important ones. It is much harder to remove one that turns out to
>>> be real trouble.
>>>
>>> Each assertion the the MPI Standard defines has the potential to break some
>>> piece of code that is valid MPI but that depends on semantic the assertion
>>> says is optional. The author of the routine that calls MPI_Init has the
>>> power to declare assertions and the authors of other parts of an applicaton
>>> must either live within the rules or explicitly shield against them.
>>>
>>> For project teams that develop complete applications, the decision to use an
>>> assertion belongs to the team,  team leader or architect.  If it is decided
>>> that an application will use a specific assertion it is the team lead  who
>>> must make sure all developers understand the decision and write appropriate
>>> code.  All testing will be done with the assertion in place.
>>>
>>> For third part libraries, the only option is to either forbid all assertions
>>> or explicitly pick some to allow. If there are  4 potential assertions, it
>>> is not very hard to decide for each one - "Will the library tolerate it?".
>>> If there are 50 assertions, library authors will seldom allow them all and
>>> will be more tempted to just say "No assertions allowed" because making
>>> judgements about each of 50 is too difficult.
>>>
>>> For Community developed code where people contribute source but are not
>>> under direct control of an architect or team lead, reviewing each submission
>>> for compliance with one or two assertions may be acceptable but reviewing
>>> for 50 each time somebody contributes new code is not.
>>>

>>> Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team/TCEM
>>> IBM Systems & Technology Group
>>> Dept 0lva / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
>>> Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363

For

*