[Mpi-22] MPI_INIT assertions

Supalov, Alexander alexander.supalov at [hidden]
Tue May 6 06:26:03 CDT 2008

Dear Dick,

Thanks. What about passing more verbose information to and from an MPI
implementation? Say, eager threshold value, if it's meaningful? There
are many less controversial examples, for example, to let the caller
know how many processes are placed onto the node, etc. Simple assertions
won't work in this case.

Back to assertions. I thought we might consider
MPI_Initialized_subset(*flag,required,*provided) or something. Setting
"required" to 0 would return the set of provided assertions in
"provided". Setting "required" to something else will also set the
"flag" to true or false, depending on whether there's a match.

The special MPI_Init_subset(*argc,***argv,required,*provided) would
complement this.

Regarding 32 bits, let's count (I'm taking the joint list from the
subset proposal that includes your earlier points):

0,1,2,3        - MPI_THREAD_SINGLE, FUNNELED, SERIALIZED, MULTIPLE
0x00000004 - No dynamic process support
0x00000008 - No file I/O
0x00000010 - No one-sided ops
0x00000020 - No communicator & group management
0x00000040 - No non-blocking communication
0x00000080 - No message cancellation
0x00000100 - Persistent ops on both sides
0x00000200 - No heterogeneity
0x00000400 - No derived datatypes (especially those with holes)
0x00000800 - No MPI_ANY_SOURCE
0x00001000 - No message tagging
0x00002000 - No reduction order
0x00004000 - No eager buffering
0x00008000 - No mixed request types in wait/test

We have 16 bits left. Note that there may be some predefined masks for
well defined combinations of the above (e.g., MPI-1 = no dynamic
processes, no file I/O, no threads, etc.).

Best regards.

Alexander