[Mpi-22] determine if running in a heterogenous environment

Dries Kimpe Dries.Kimpe at [hidden]
Mon Mar 3 11:45:47 CST 2008

* Richard Treumann <treumann_at_[hidden]> [2008-03-03 12:01:12]:

> The real concern here is:

> Does the MPI implementation need to provide data conversion services
> between any pair of tasks in the communiator?  If I have some tasks on a
> slow node and other tasks on a fast one we could debate whether that is
> heterogeneous.

> I think the proposal has merit but we need to be specific that only data
> representation conversion for data transfer routines is involved in the
> meaning of "heterogeneous".

This is what I meant:
that's why I talked about not specifying the correct datatype, but instead
using MPI_BYTE and relying on the fact that the in-memory representation
on both ranks is the same.

So, my definition of 'heterogenous':
not having the same in-memory data representation.

  Greetings,
  Dries

*