[Mpi-22] MPI-2.1 ambiguity?

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Fri Jul 18 15:16:33 CDT 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 3:08 PM, William Gropp wrote:

> Any behavior other than branch A violates the principle of least
> surprise.

I assume that most MPI implementations will have the values be equal
just by how their f2c/c2f engines work (OMPI will).  I was just
wondering if it's necessary to *mandate* that behavior.

Do apps really check handle equality?  If so, I agree that anything
other than path A violates the law of least astonishment.  I assumed
that not many apps do this, but I probably don't have a good basis for
reference.

Cisco Systems