[Mpi-22] [Mpi-forum] MPI 2.2 proposal: resolving MPI_Request_free issues

Greg Lindahl lindahl at [hidden]
Thu Jul 17 16:37:12 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 05:29:36PM -0400, Richard Treumann wrote:

> It is clear that if the matching
> RECV has completed then the unaltered  content of the ISEND buffer is no
> longer needed.

This isn't clear to me. There's certainly no promise of that in the
MPI-1 standard text on the web. That's why I said I thought it should
be undefined. This is "spooky action at a distance" for me. We
shouldn't encourage it.

And I still think it's the same can of worms as MPI_Cancel.  If
MPI_Cancel works, then an RDMA-using MPI can simple call it at the
start of the request_free call.

-- greg