[Mpi-22] Empty members and MPI_TYPE_GET_CONTENTS

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Thu Dec 11 10:13:59 CST 2008

FWIW, I don't particularly care whether we return the 0's or not -- I
just want the ambiguity resolved so that all MPI implementations do
the same thing.

That being said:

a) Dick makes some pretty good arguments.  I can see the value of not
returning the 0's.  If we voted again, I'd probably vote to not return
the 0's.

b) I *think* the predominant attitude in the forum for the straw votes
was "what the heck; might as well return the 0's since that's what was
originally passed."  I don't recall there being any other strong
technical reason.

Specifically: if we take a new straw vote and go the other way
(*don't* return the 0's), I'll happily change the proposal to reflect
that and we can start it over again (ie., have first reading, etc.).

On Dec 10, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Richard Treumann wrote:

>  All phases  MPI install  Test build  Test run
> Date range:
> Hardware:
>  Show Hide
> OS:
>  Show Hide
> MPI name:
>  Show Hide
> MPI version:
>  Show Hide
> Org:
>  Show Hide
> Local username:
>  Show Hide
> Platform name:
>  Show Hide
> [Reset form]  [Start over]        [Preferences]  [Advanced]
> Current time (GMT):
> 2008-12-11 14:00:11
> Date range (GMT):
> 2008-12-11 02:00:11 - 2008-12-11 14:00:11
> Phase(s):
> MPI install, Test build, and Test run
> Number of rows:
> 22

> [...]