[Mpi-22] [Mpi-forum] Another pre-preposal for MPI 2.2 or 3.0

Richard Treumann treumann at [hidden]
Thu Apr 24 09:25:44 CDT 2008

I am aiming for a balance between simplicity (which leads to affordabe
implementation in libmpi and practical use by applications & libraries) and
versitility.  If we standardize something well defined and affordable that
gives 95% of the value and both MPI implementations and MPI
applications/libraries begin to support/apply it we come out way ahead.
Assertions even have a good probability of being portable if there are only
a dozen defined.

If we provide unbounded permutations and extensibility, most MPI
implementations will ignore all but a handfull and the application
developer will need to invest a lot of effort in setting switches without
being able to assume they are ever read by the MPI implementation.

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team/TCEM
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept 0lva / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363

mpi-22-bounces_at_[hidden] wrote on 04/24/2008 04:13:19 AM:

> Hi,
>
> What happens if we run beyond 32 or 64 attributes? I think we may rather
> need something more scalable than an int, and possibly more hierarchical
> than a linear list of attributes. That would map into subsets nicely, by
> the way.
I avoided the word "attribute" and chose the word "assertion" for a reason.
I would consider the word "promise" except that it feels a bit
anthropomorphic for my taste.
An assertion is a statement by the application that it acts in a way which
does not depend on a specific guarantee in the vanilla standard.
An assertion is not a directive to libmpi to do something different. It
is a promise that the application will be OK if libmpi passes up support
for
the specific semantic requirement.  Libmpi is within its rights to
terminate
a job if libmpi can recognize the application "lied". Libmpi is even within
its rights to give unexpected results if the application "lied". For
example,
if the application really does depend on bitwise  reproducable reduction
results and asserts it does not, the applicaton may give some surprises.

My feeling is that no matter what we do there will never be more than a
handfull of assertions that gain wide support. My fundamental concern with
the subsetting concept is my suspicion that
1) it will end of with 100 or 1000 or 1000000 permutations,
2) supporting all of them would give 100 units of value and be very complex
3) an MPI implementation that tries to support a large number becomes
untestable
4) a well chosen subset would give 95 units of value
5) consensus on the worthwhile aspects of subsetting is needed before you
get
   portabality and that will take years to evolve. (maybe forever)
6) writing pluggable libraries will become much harder because each library
   will need to deal with the wide range of "subsets" somebody may plug it
   into.

> Another thing is that in some cases, the attitude of the MPI for each
> attribute may be "yes", "no", and "don't care/undefined". I can imagine,
> for example, that there's no eager protocol at all, and so no throttle,
> albeit in a way different from when there are eager and rendezvous
> protocols, but they are well tuned to provide a smooth curve. What will
> happen in either case: will MPI proceed or terminate? By having
> attributes with values "yes", "no", "tell me" we may be able to
> accommodate this easier than with the bitwise "yes" and "no".
Most applications will either depend on a semantic guarentee or will not.
That
may not always be easy for the application writer to recognize but there is
no "dont' care" needed in this proposal. I suppose someone might ask "What
if
the application wants to provide dual code and let the MPI implementation
decide?"
That would call for a "don't care" option but it is not at all clear to me
that MPI implementations would often have a basis for a run time decision
support a semantic guarentee that an application has said "don't care" for.
If support for MPI_CANCEL hurts performance and the implementation has
added
logic to support CANCEL when the MPI_NO_SEND_CANCELS assertion is absent
and give
better performance when the MPI_NO_SEND_CANCELS assertion is provided, why
would
it ever consider supporting CANCEL in an application where the init time
said
"don't care"?

> Finally, we'll we treat thread support level as yet another attribute?
I am open to considering this.
> Will we define any query function for these attributes? Will they be
> job-wide or communicator-wide?
Assertions are job wide. A query mechanism seems like a reasonable addition
and
if the set of valid assertions is defined by the standard, a query
mechanism
would be pretty simple. I think the most useful query response would
involve the
implementation saying whether it is acting on the assertion but I could
argue for
a query that reports what the app has set. If I write an application and do
not
code a call to MPI_CANCEL I can assert MPI_NO_SEND_CANCELS but if my app
calls an
opaque library that uses MPI_CANCEL I may not know it does that.
A well written library that depends on a semantic that can be suspended by
assertion
may want to have a way to check that the assertion was not made or at least
not
affecting libmpi behavior.

The needs of opaque libraries is another argument for keeping the assertion
list
well defined. The library author must be able to predict which MPI
guarentees can
be pulled out from under him and that list must be short enough so as he
writes
the library code he can predict the spots where the ice may be thin and
guard
against them. The author of "Freds_lib" can use a query and has two options
if
he does not like the answer. He can issue a fatal error and tell the user:
"Assertion MPI_NO_SEND_CANCELS is incompatable with using Freds_lib. Please
remove
this assertion" or he can provide an alternate code path that that does not
depend on being able to cancel an MPI_Isend.

*