[Mpi-21] MPI-2.1: Fortran 90 bindings

Richard Treumann treumann at [hidden]
Thu Mar 6 08:03:25 CST 2008

Jeff -

The statement in the standard should allow an MPI implementation the option
of leaving out checking for MPI functions with single or double CHOICE
buffers but should not say they "are explicitly not included in the F90
bindings.".

It is possible that even 5,250 functions would be a problem on some Fortran
compilers and an implementation that has to deal with such a compiler may
wish to provide checking for the MPI subroutines that do not have any
CHOICE arguments but skip even the 5250 functions for single CHOICE.

Some Fortran compilers have non-standard features that allow a formal
parameter to be declared as what amounts to void* and with that compile
feature, CHOICE becomes easy. An MPI implementation that is based on a
Fortran compiler with this feature could check even double CHOICE easily.

            Dick

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team/TCEM
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept 0lva / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363

*