[mpi-21] Ballot 4 - MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED - was Re: Attending, topics, etc

Richard Treumann treumann at [hidden]
Thu Jan 31 13:13:17 CST 2008

See MPI_IS_THREAD_MAIN on page 198.  The definition of "main thread" is
there.  Maybepage 198 is not the best place for a definition of a term that
is used on page 196 but the standard does provide one.

I am reluctant to mention OpenMP in the context of defining
MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED because then we would need to discuss other ways an
application could become multi threaded too.

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team/TCEM
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept 0lva / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363

mpi-21-bounces_at_[hidden] wrote on 01/31/2008 12:58:59 PM:

> What is the definition of a "main thread" ? The OpenMP example is
> still vague.
>
> I think we should clarify what we expect the "main thread" to be. From
> my perspective, this "main thread" is the one that called the
> MPI_Init_thread function, as the MPI library is then allowed to attach
> some kind of private key(s) to it (pthread_key_create).
>
>    Thanks,
>      george.
>
> On Jan 31, 2008, at 11:09 AM, Rolf Rabenseifner wrote:
>
> > Sorry Rich,
> >
> > but MPI 2.0 has defined "main thread", and not less!
> >
> > The open question was only, who is responsible for guaranteing this.
> >
> > Dicks text is fine:
> >
> > My first proposal
> > has the advantage, that "main thread" is defined by refering to
> > the OpenMP-Standard where "OpenMP master thread" is defined (and not
> > "main").
> >
> > We can combine this to:
> >  MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED The process may be multi-threaded, but the
> > application
> >  must insure that only the main thread makes MPI calls, e.g., by
> > using the
> >  OpenMP directive "master".
> >
> > (This clearly tells that OpenMP single directive is not enough.)
> >
> > Best regards
> > Rolf
> >

> > On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:50:35 -0500
> > Richard Graham <rlgraham_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >> Why restrict this to a standard specified thread (main thread), why
> >> not word
> >> it
> >> as a singe thread, and let the app decide what thread this is,
> >> based on
> >> what
> >> ever criteria it wants to use to select this thread ?
> >>
> >> Rich

[mailto:mpi-21-bounces_at_[hidden]

http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/homes/wgropp/projects/parallel/MPI/mpi-

rabenseifner_at_[hidden]