[mpi-21] Ballot 4 - MPI_File_set_info update or replacement

Richard Treumann treumann at [hidden]
Thu Jan 31 09:23:05 CST 2008

I think we have an overall ambiguity about what the "current set of hints"
is.  This ambiguity is evident in the question about what MPI_FILE_INFO_GET
returns and in this discussion too.  If an implementation supports 5 file
hints then it must select a value for each of these hints an MPI_FILE_OPEN.
If there is an MPI_Info that stipulates 2 of the hints then how many hints
are in the "current set of hints"?  2 or 5?  I would say there are 5 and I
think it makes sense for MPI_FILE_GET_INFO to return all 5 (key,value)
pairs.

Two more specific points -

1) I would expect that if at MPI_FILE_OPEN the implementation is given
non-default hints ("A","yes")  and ("B","no") and then at MPI_FILE_INFO_SET
is given ("B","yes") the net effect is that hint "A" remains as set and
hint "B" is altered (if possible).   If there is a hint "C" which has never
been mentioned it will have received a default value at MPI_FILE_OPEN and
the MPI_FILE_INFO_SET which does not mention "C" will leave that default
unchanged.

Is the "clarification" saying hint "A" must return to default when
MPI_FILE_INFO_SET fails to mention it?  If that is the intent then I need
to be convinced.  If we decide this is to be blessed then we probably need
to say that any use of MPI_FILE_SET_INFO must first call MPI_FILE_GET_INFO,
tweek the INFO it gets back from MPI_FILE_GET_INFO and pass that to
MPI_FILE_SET_INFO to avoid unexpected changes to the set of hints that is
"in effect".

2) Since a hint is a hint, not a command, it can be rejected.  It is
possible that some hint  can be honored at MPI_FILE_OPEN but once it has
been honored, cannot be altered at reasonable cost.

For example, maybe somebody's MPI_FILE_OPEN could accept a hint
("buffer_size", "dynamic-64MB") meaning "start with a 64MB buffer but be
prepared to accept changes to buffer size".  If the user has set hint
("buffer_size", "64MB") at FILE_OPEN, the implelentation would omit
whatever synchs are needed to preserve the ability to change on the fly.
Passing ("buffer_size", "dynamic-16MB") to MPI_FILE_SET_INFO could be
honored if the user had chosen "dynamic" at FILE_OPEN but would need to be
ignored if he had not.

For most implementations, a hint like "buffer_size" could not be honored at
all after the first file read or write had been done.

Dick Treumann  -  MPI Team/TCEM
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept 0lva / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846         Fax (845) 433-8363

*