[mpi-21] Ballot 4 proposal: INOUT arguments

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at [hidden]
Thu Jan 31 07:46:34 CST 2008

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 21:34:31 -0500
 Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>1. Why do we need to indicate the INOUT status of the back-end MPI
>object in the language neutral bindings?  All the bindings --
>regardless of language -- only deal with the MPI handles, not the back-
>end MPI objects.
>
>2. Adding qualifiers on what is supposed to happen to the back-end MPI
>object would seem to require additional semantics on the back-end MPI
>object.  Should we really be specifying what the implementation must/
>must not do with the back-end MPI object?  Who benefits from that?

After all the MPI_BOTTOM discussion and not knowing what future
languages will bring, I didn't want to remove existing information
from the standard. An opaque object in MPI consists always
of two things: the handle and the object itself.

The language independent interface should reflect this.

I thought that especially for the const discussion it would be good
to see the IN for the handle. For future HPCS languages, it may be
also necessary see the INOUT for the object itself.

Best regards
Rolf