[mpi-21] Ballot 4 proposal: fix attribute example 4.13

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at [hidden]
Thu Feb 7 11:51:14 CST 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:22:27 -0500
 Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>On Feb 7, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Rolf Rabenseifner wrote:
>
>> MPI 2.0 Sect.4.12.7 Attributes, page 58 lines 14-16 read:
>>
>>   When an integer valued attribute is accessed from C or C++,
>>   then MPI xxx get attr will return the address of (a pointer to)
>>   the integer valued attribute.
>>
>> but should read:
>>
>>   When an integer valued attribute is accessed from C or C++,
>>   then MPI xxx get attr will return the address of (a pointer to)
>>   the integer valued attribute; the address is only valid as long
>>   the attribute is not changed or the object on which the attribute
>>   is cached is not freed.
>
>Shouldn't the "or" in the last phrase be "and"?

Yes, "and" is what I wanted to say.

>> Additional proposal (B): Add at the end of the previous text:
>>   The application must not change this integer valued attribute
>>   at the returned address.
>
>I had to think about this quite a bit before I "got it" -- you're
>saying that when an integer-valued attribute is set (from fortran),
>the MPI implementation must be caching the value internally and then
>returning a pointer to that internally cached value.  Hence, the
>address is only valid as long as the MPI object is valid.
>
>However, I'm not sure about the requirement of not changing the value
>(for integer-valued attributes).  If you MPI_xxx_get_attr from C and
>change the value, it'll be changed for any subsequent MPI_xxx_get_attr
>calls from C or Fortran.  However, if you MPI_xxx_get_attr from
>Fortran and change the value, the next call to MPI_xxx_get_attr will
>have the original value.
>
>Are you just trying to avoid this disparity?

Normally, MPI never gives the application the right to change
anything in a opaque object without calling an MPI routine.

C-routine MPI_xxx_get_attr is called with a handle to a opaque object
that has stored a Fortran integer-valued attribute.
IF we allow, that MPI_xxx_get_attr returns a pointer to foo
and foo contains the value of such fortran-integer-attribute,
AND IF we allow that a subsequent same call to MPI_xxx_get_attr returns
the same pointer to same foo,
AND IF we allow that the application may change the value of foo,
THEN I would report:
  foo is part of the opaque object
  and we allowed that the application has changed the value without
  calling MPI_xxx_set_attr.

If we do not want this, then there are two solutions:
- restrictive: to forbid changing the value from C directly;
- memory wasting: producing always a new foo in each call to MPI_xxx_get_attr.

Restrictive solution is also faster!

Nevertheless - ugly ;-)

Kind regards
Rolf