[Mpi-21] problems with 19 Apr document

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at [hidden]
Mon Apr 28 12:32:37 CDT 2008

In reviewing the 19 April document for the Chicago meeting, I found a
few issues:

Chapter 15 (deprecated functions)
- Seems to be missing some deprecated functions: MPI_DUP_FN,
MPI_NULL_COPY_FN, MPI_NULL_DELETE_FN (there might be others?).

Annex A
- p498:41-42: The table header for the 2nd to last table on the page
is a little weird: "C Constants specifying ignored input (no C++ or
Fortran)", and the constants are MPI_F_STATUS[ES]_IGNORE.  So the
heading is technically correct, but a little confusing.

- p556: this table represents (I think) all MPI-1 functions.  Do we
need to add in MPI-2 functions?  Or do we still need this table
anymore, since all the C++ functions are now integrated in the whole
document?

Examples Index
- There are still a bunch of repeated names, some in all caps, some in
mixed case, etc.
- There are some examples listed just by MPI function name (e.g.,
MPI_SEND and MPI_Send) -- are we listing every MPI function in every
MPI example?  How was the selection for these example names given?

Constant Index
- The first entry is still "MPI::*_NULL"
- Are we listing the C++ constants and Fortran constants here, too?
Or just the C constants?  Or just language neutral?  (I only see C++
predefined datatypes listed -- should we list all or none of them?)

Declarations Index
- I don't see the MPI C++ subtypes (e.g., MPI::Intercomm).

Callback function prototype index
- C++ types are missing

Function index
- There are many entries that should not be in this index, because
they are not functions.  I suspect that someone simply used the wrong
latex macro in the text.
MPI_
MPI_*_FREE
MPI_CHAR
MPI_CHARACTER
MPI_COMM_NULL
MPI_COMM_SELF
MPI_COMM_WORLD
MPI_DUP_FN
MPI_ERROR
MPI_ERRORS_RETURN
MPI_FILE
MPI_FILE_NULL
MPI_MAX
MPI_STATUS
MPI_SUCCESS
MPI_THREAD_INIT (!! looks like a typo page p479)
MPI_TYPE_UB, MPI_TYPE_LB (these two functions are on one line)
MPI_UNSIGNED_CHAR
MPI_WCHAR
MPI_WIN_BASE
MPI_XXX_GET_ERRHANDLER