[mpiwg-tools] Telecon tomorrow

Marc-Andre Hermanns m.a.hermanns at grs-sim.de
Thu Nov 14 09:27:26 CST 2013

Dear all,

sorry, I let myself get thrown off by the daylight savings time changes
in US and Europe again, so I will not make it in time today. :(

I wanted to add some feedback to ticket #383 (the variable info
consistency).

I am not quite satisfied with the current wording as an advice to
implementers, as it still does not give any guarantee to tools as to
what to expect from a query and how to process the information.

What do you think of the following idea: Let's attach a "realm" to a
certain variable information. How a realm is represented would still be
discussed, but for the sake of the discussion assume it is represented
as an MPI_Group containing all the ranks that share the same indexing.

An implementation that chooses to be super-individualistic and promise
nothing can do so by using the "self-group" as the realm for any
variable information.

An implementation that wants to help a tool to unify information
automatically, can use larger realms up to the point where every
information is in a single global realm.

Example: The DEEP project [1], which investigates a mixed-network
accelerator cluster having a pure-infiniband, a pure-extoll part, and a
mixed-infiniband-extoll part could choose to create three different
realms, guaranteeing that the information within each realm matches
across processes.

This idea is very rough-cut, but would something along this line work
for everyone? It should still allow implementations not to give any
guarantee, but at least enables tools to query the level of consistency
given by an implementation and complain accordingly.

What are your ideas on this?

Cheers,
Marc-Andre

[1] http://www.deep-project.eu/

On 13.11.13 22:54, Kathryn Mohror wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As a reminder, we have our regular telecon tomorrow at 11am EST and 8am
> PST. The call in information is here:
>
> https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/wiki/MPI3Tools
>
> Agenda items:
>   - Figure out what time we need at the forum meeting, tickets to vote
> on, etc.
>   - Tickets #377, #384, #383, #400 (#392)
>   - Discuss the "multiple device" support issue further
>
> Talk to you soon!
> Kathryn

> Kathryn Mohror, kathryn at llnl.gov
> <mailto:kathryn at llnl.gov>, http://people.llnl.gov/mohror1
> CASC @ Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA, USA

Marc-Andre Hermanns
German Research School for
Simulation Sciences GmbH
c/o Laboratory for Parallel Programming
52062 Aachen | Germany

Tel +49 241 80 99753
Fax +49 241 80 6 99753
Web www.grs-sim.de

Members: Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH | RWTH Aachen University
Registered in the commercial register of the local court of
Düren (Amtsgericht Düren) under registration number HRB 5268
Registered office: Jülich
Executive board: Prof. Marek Behr, Ph.D | Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt