[Mpi3-rma] Disp_unit in allocate_shared should be returned by win_shared_query?

Torsten Hoefler htor at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 18 13:02:57 CDT 2012

Jim,
> Is one process' disp_unit meaningful at another process?  I thought that
> this is not the case.  MPI provides no other routines to query another
> process' disp_unit.
It is something that the user is passing in. I don't know of a
particular use-case but we can query all other arguments that each
process passed. One more integer seemed safe to me.

> Also, what meaning does a disp_unit have in the context of load/store
> operations that will result from win_shared_query?
Nothing.

> Maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't seem necessary.
Well, it's better to have it than to introduce it with a different name
later. That was my main motivation. One could also use it in a library
context to query. But that's weak, I know.

We can back it out. We can also discuss it at a telecon.

Torsten

--
### qreharg rug ebs fv crryF ------------- http://www.unixer.de/ -----
Torsten Hoefler         | Performance Modeling and Simulation Lead