[Mpi3-hybridpm] Better Forum INIT/FINALIZE slides

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 17 08:22:48 CDT 2013

Jeff,

Some comments --

1. Slide 2: The main goals need to be rephrased.  The goals are to
overcome limitations while using MPI in stacked and threaded libraries.
  For stacked libraries, the single INIT/FINALIZE limitation requires
each library to have global knowledge on who else is using MPI.  For
threaded libraries, there are race conditions.

2. Slide 5: Sorry, I missed this earlier.  I'm not in favor of changing
the current definitions of IS_INITIALIZED and IS_FINALIZED.  Better to
deprecate them and add MPI_IS_WITHIN_EPOCH.

3. Slide 10: I don't think we agreed that the requested level will be
ignored by subsequent calls.  That's a quality of implementation issue.

4. Slide 15: We can say that our current stand is to remove that
restriction that the "main thread" needs to finalize.

Btw, I've requested for plenary time.

  -- Pavan

On 07/15/2013 12:45 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
> Here's a better cut of slides that are more Forum-friendly.
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> (Pavan: I'm correct in thinking that you're getting plenary time from Martin for this, right?)

Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji