[MPIWG Fortran] Type of MPI_Status

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Mon Mar 17 15:57:20 CDT 2014

On Mar 17, 2014, at 4:03 PM, Bill Long <longb at cray.com> wrote:

>> Yes, but my KIND is the default INTEGER kind -- not the C_INT kind.  Mine is solely for the purpose of making it BIND(C)-able:
>>
>>  ! Get the KIND value that will be compatible with C, but also be a
>>  ! default INTEGER.  That way, all the BIND(C) types below will be
>>  ! compatible with BIND(C) (because their member(s) will be BIND(C)
>>  ! compatible).
>
> Better make sure there is a variable named INTEGER that is type default INTEGER for the statement below to work.  The more common usage is just KIND(0).

There is not -- this is what Craig told me to do.  :-)

He initially started with KIND(0), but then got all excited and told me to do KIND(INTEGER).

Is that incorrect?

>>  integer, parameter :: OMPI_INT_KIND = kind(INTEGER)
>
> This does not appear to accomplish anything (other than irritate Rolf).  If INTEGER(OMPI_INT_KIND) is interoperable, and suitable for a BIND(C) interface, then so is INTEGER.  If you compile with -i8, OMPI_INT_KIND will switch from 4 to 8 (most implementations), but INTEGER would have the same effect.

For gfortran upcoming4.9, at least, having this kind seemed to make a difference... I'll have to test again to make sure that is correct.

jsquyres at cisco.com