[MPI3 Fortran] [Mpi-comments] MPI 3.0: Fortran 2008 interface - issue with the LOGICAL kind

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Wed Mar 27 18:46:20 CDT 2013

On 3/27/13 5:42 PM, Craig Rasmussen wrote:
> Rolf, I'm sorry to say this but it all seems way too complicated to me.
>   There are too many subgroups, options, special cases, ...  When things
> are too complicated, usually this means that something is wrong.

To carry the "too complicated" argument (much) farther, and only partly
tongue-in-cheek,  the MPI Fortran forum should identify the 20 or so MPI
functions that are adequate to link 99.9% of all Fortran programs using
MPI, and completely delete the Fortran interface for all the rest. The
0.1% power users can easily figure out how to write their own wrappers
and interface blocks to access the other C library routines directly.
Had C interoperability in Fortran been well established at the time MPI
was started, I would hope that there would have never been separate
Fortran interfaces in the first place.  This would be a big step in that
direction, and would have minimal backward compatibility effects on the
vast majority of users.  Obviously, I'm not suggesting this as an
immediate change to solve the current problems, but I think it is worth
pondering.

Bill Long                                           longb at cray.com