[MPI3 Fortran] MPI-3, the Interoperability TR and choice buffers

Bill Long longb at cray.com
Wed Sep 29 07:50:23 CDT 2010

N.M. Maclaren wrote:

>> Why is the dope-vector and all behind not defined in a way that it
>> can handle
>> - normal (scalar) varibles (as zero-ranked)
>> - multidimensional arrays and subarrays
>> - ***and*** ***also*** such assumed-size arrays?
>
> That was my proposal.  Bill's CDESC would also solve this problem, and is
> probably the minimal change to the TR that would.

Possibly a similarly minimal change, though one that would require
careful wording, would be to allow an assumed-size actual to correspond
to an assumed-rank dummy, with the rule that the extent of the last
dimension in the descriptor be set to 1 in the caller.  This would
require careful words about overindexing, etc.  But since assumed-rank
is new, there should not be backwards compatibility problems.
Basically, it boils down to a discussion of how to spell the attribute.

Bill Long                                           longb at cray.com