[mpiwg-abi] MPI_Fint in the ABI

Jeff Hammond jehammond at nvidia.com
Sat Aug 19 02:32:10 CDT 2023

First, I withdraw my idea for MPI_Abi_sizes since MPI_Type_size already works for all of that.  We just need Advice to Users about it.

Second, I think we just need to say that the f2c/c2f symbols, while part of the C API, are part of the Fortran ABI and therefore must match the way the Fortran library was compiled.  This means that these symbols have to come from the libmpifort_abi.so (not previously discussed, but obvious), not libmpi.so, and therefore this scheme works with implementations that provide both LP64 and ILP64 Fortran, as Intel MPI does.

We will need to add Advice to Implementers about this, that ensure MPI_Type_size(MPI_INTEGER) does the right thing.

We also need Advice to Users saying that MPI_Fint is not part of the C ABI and is not present in the ABI mpi.h, but rather the user is required to query the type size at runtime and use the appropriate C type.

This is Option 2, with more detail.

Jeff