[Mpi3-bwcompat] MPI_Count mixing with int...

Quincey Koziol koziol at [hidden]
Fri Jul 9 14:05:52 CDT 2010

Hi Fab,

On Jul 9, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Fab Tillier wrote:

> Rajeev Thakur wrote on Thu, 8 Jul 2010 at 22:06:24
>
>> Yes, that is a long standing problem -- that datatypes use MPI_Aint
>> (wherever they do), but they really need to use the larger of MPI_Aint
>> or MPI_Offset.
>
> So an 'optimal' implementation would be one where MPI_Aint, MPI_Offset, MPI_Count, and MPI_Size all map to the same underlying type.
>
> Ugh, this is getting messy quickly.  I think I'll just deal with the MPI_Count and MPI_Size issues, ignoring the MPI_Aint/MPI_Offset issues.  Some poor soul a decade from now will likely curse me for it, but I don't want to get into deprecating a bunch of functions (those with Aint) to normalize them too.
>
> So to summarize, my plan is as follows:
> 1. Define MPI_Size (instead of MPI_Count)
> 2. Use MPI_Size as the type for all size, count, and position variables.
> 3. Ignore MPI_Aint and MPI_Offset inconsistencies.
>
> If anyone has issues with this, please holler sooner than later.

        I still think aliasing MPI_Size and MPI_Count will cause problems down the line, since the two concepts are different.  I'd be much happier with separating them now rather than having to change things that are switched from int to MPI_Size now to MPI_Count later.

                Quincey