[Mpi-forum] All MPI implementors: Implementation of MPI constants in C and Fortran / MPI meeting May 3, 2023 9am CDT discussion

Rolf Rabenseifner rabenseifner at hlrs.de
Tue May 2 13:51:15 CDT 2023

Dear implementor of an MPI library,

Based on the discussion today in the MPI forum meeting,
I have the following urgent question to you:

  Did you implement all MPI constants that are described in Annex A.1.1
    as of type "const int (or unnamed enum)"
  as "C integer constant expression"
    (according to the specification of the C language)?

If yes, then all is okay and the proposed change of the MPI standard in
    https://github.com/mpi-forum/mpi-standard/pull/821/files
will not require any change of your MPI implementation.

If not, then please can you tell which MPI constant(s) MPI_XXX

- have you implemented in a way that

 - it still can be used in an initialization expression,
   i.e., in a application statement like
     int x=MPI_XXX;
 - but it cannot be used as a case-label in a switch statement like
     switch(MPI_XXX) {
         case MPI_XXX: printf("XXX\n");
         default: ;
     }
 - and cannot be used as a fixed array length in a declaration like
     float x[MPI_XXX];

- and how implemented you such an MPI constant that this problem arises?

We'll discuss this again tomorrow May 3, 2023 at the beginning
of the MPI forum meeting.

See you hopefully at the meeting,
and hopefully reporting that you have no problem with the proposal,

kind regards
Rolf