[Mpi-forum] Memory Alloc Kind Reading

Jim Dinan james.dinan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 14:02:45 CST 2023

Hi All,

Wanted to share an update on this reading. I added an update to the
proposal yesterday (before cutoff) that introduces an explicit "default"
memory kind. My hope is that this will address several concerns that were
raised at the virtual meeting. Namely,

1. Use cases where users want to add a kind in addition to the default were
challenging/confusing and are now easy ("default;additional_kinds")
2. The default kind must include "system" and "mpi". After re-reading
Section 9.2, I believe this is not introducing a new constraint.
3. MPI may not ignore a request to support the default kind. This relieves
users from checking for basic support they have relied on for many years.

If you've already read the proposal in preparation for the meeting, you can
find these changes in commit 80a67b3.

Cheers,
 ~Jim.