[Mpi-forum] MPI Forum voting rules: new version

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri Feb 15 10:44:30 CST 2013

On Feb 11, 2013, at 3:16 PM, William Gropp <wgropp at illinois.edu> wrote:

> My concern here is that if meetings are less frequent that every 6-8 weeks (the original MPI schedule), this approach drags the process out long enough to create a new failure mode - too much time elapses between votes.  I don't think that you can ignore the amount of time between votes.

Agreed.  I should point out that this proposal is effectively a codification of the process that we have used for years (with some tweaks and clarifications, obviously).

> I don't have a good solution to this, other than to permit an alternate, non-meeting mechanism for one of these events (e.g., perhaps the first vote could be done by email if more than 4 months will elapse between the reading and the second vote).

That could be a viable idea.  But I see this as a separate -- albeit related -- issue to this voting rules proposal.

If someone makes a proposal to allow virtual ballots, then these voting rules can certainly have their language softened to allow ballots to occur in virtual scenarios (not just physical MPI Forum meetings).

jsquyres at cisco.com