[Mpi-21] Chapter 5

William Gropp gropp at [hidden]
Wed Apr 9 08:40:51 CDT 2008

Here are my comments on these points.

On Apr 8, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Richard Treumann wrote:

> Rolf -
>
> My attempt to check in the file did not work and since I am not
> familiar with svn I did not try very long to debug the failure. The
> file is attached to this email. If you can get it into the
> repository you have the write token.
>
> (See attached file: context.tex)
>
> Chapter 5 - items needing Forum feedback (references are to April 1
> draft)
>
> 1) 171:28-29 We point to a couple 15 year old papers to give
> background on using MPI to write libraries. It seems to me the
> concepts no longer require this backup. They have been around for
> long enough to be current practice. Is there a reason to keep the
> pointers?

I think we should edit and add to this, not drop it.  I still hear
people say that "MPI was derived from PVM," which is not true and
which this historical context makes clear.

> 2) 192:8-13 Bogus advise about just playing with the reference
> count to implement MPI_COMM_DUP (I think Rolf has already captured
> this for MPI 2.2)

Agreed.

> 3) 202:31-35 The wierd suggestion that intercommunicator groups may
> not be required to be disjoint should come out. Everything else is
> pretty clear that they ARE disjoint. As far as I can see this
> statement falls into the catagory of "We could have made a
> different choice when we wrote MPI-1". The decision was made that
> the groups are disjoint so this editorial aside should be removed.

This needs to be removed because it is one of the adopted errata.  No
discussion should be needed.

> 4) The discussion of attribute caching needs significant rework. It
> has paragraphs from when only communicators supported caching and
> paragraphs about adding caching support to windows and datatypes.
> It should be reworded to describe caching as it applies to all
> three object types and explain who there is no WIN_DUP while there
> is a TYPE_DUP and a COMM_DUP. (and therefore no attribute copy
> functions for windows.)

Agreed.

> 5) Jeff Squires has pointed out a need for explanation of the C++
> clone functions on 186:1-5 and to me it looks like a sentence or
> two from a C++ guru along with a pointer to section 13.1.7 would
> do. Perhaps add:
>    Please see section ____ page ___ for further discussion about
> the C++ bindings for Dup() and Clone(). where ____ page ___ is a
> link to 13.1.7.   (I did not want to try to add a LaTex link so I
> did not do any of this change)

Agreed.

> The changes I have made are pretty straightforward.
>
> Dick
>
> Dick Treumann - MPI Team/TCEM
> IBM Systems & Technology Group
> Dept 0lva / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
> Tele (845) 433-7846 Fax (845) 433-8363
>
> mpi-21 mailing list
> mpi-21_at_[hidden]
> http://lists.mpi-forum.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mpi-21

William Gropp
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

*